Wednesday, March 5, 2014

DIGNITY - BV10


 When I decided to teach myself to paint, one of my first projects was to cut out photos from newspapers and magazines of pictures I wanted to copy. I chose black and white ones for my first attempt. I learned that raw umber and ultramarine blue made a nice black, so I mixed some up and got started.

The first picture that inspired me was the face of a young black girl. She wore a cap over her hair; she was from the Southern States and she was financially poor. But in one way she was very rich and it showed on her face. It captured my attention and my heart.

There was dignity in her expression and that’s what I wanted to portray—a deep inner strength from within. She held her head high as her face expressed drive and courage. When I saw the photo I thought to myself no matter what her circumstances are, she believes in her own worth and that’s what I want to paint.

It’s definitely not a perfect painting but it is one that I hang in my living room and today it inspired me once again, so I decided to write about it.

I think God must see us much like I see the painting of the girl’s face. He’s proud of us. He sees right past any of our outward frailties or inward short comings. He smiles when we believe in ourselves, when we hold our heads high. We are His kids. We have a right to dignity and we have courage to believe and walk out on His Word, step by step into our futures.

Zechariah 2:8 tells us we are the apple of God’s eye. God tells us Himself in Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Those are some good truths for us to keep in mind.

We can be like the girl in the painting and be proud.

Love, Carolyn

More good truths from God’s Word and how to apply these truths in everyday living—get your copy of WINGS: A Journey in Faith from the Earthly to the Heavenly. Available from Amazon or Barnes and Noble online.

No comments:

Post a Comment