Wednesday, May 2, 2018

GROWING UP IN LOVE

GROWING UP IN LOVE
2 Thessalonians 1:3 says: “Your faith groweth [is growing] exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth [is abounding].” Sometimes we may wonder if we’re growing spiritually. We may question ourselves as to whether we’re showing the love of Jesus enough in our lives. Ephesians 4:15 tells us how to grow up in Christ. By “speaking the truth in love, [you] may grow up into him in all things.” That sounds simple enough, but honestly, sometimes I don’t want to speak the truth because I know it’s going to hurt someone or start an argument. The key, though, is that if we can’t speak it in love, don’t speak it. My parents would say, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.” That’s good advice.

Sometimes we want to speak the truth, but our motivation is more out of anger and frustration than it is of love. We want to just blurt out the truth and go on our way. But that’s not God’s way. We need to think about how we deliver the truth. No one wants to be blasted, even if it is with the truth. Before we speak anything to other people, especially if it’s in the form of correction, we need to ask ourselves, “How would I like to hear this message if the tables were turned?”

Proverbs 15:1 tells us: “A soft answer turns away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.” I’ve observed my friend Wendy speaking to her young son. When she’s correcting him, she always speaks softly and slowly. If we responded this way more often, we’d generally be a lot healthier.

Paul tells the Corinthians: “Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men” (1 Cor.14:20). If we have malice in our hearts, we need to try to keep it from coming out of our mouths.

When I was a little girl and went to Sunday school with my grandma, they taught us “The Golden Rule” from the teaching of Jesus. It’s in Luke 6:31: “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.” We need to remember this rule as adults. I don’t want to hear what my coworkers have to say about politics, so I don’t talk to them about what I think politically either. I respect the fact that people think differently, so why bring up things that cause arguments? I don’t push my faith on people, because I don’t want them trying to push their beliefs on me.

This week I’m concentrating on treating others as I want to be treated, and only speaking out when I know my motivation is love.  

Time to rev up some of the old rules!

Love, Carolyn



CHECK OUT MY WINGS COLLECTION:


No comments:

Post a Comment