Sunday, April 12, 2020

EASTER SUNDAY - IT IS WRITTEN


EASTER SUNDAY – IT IS WRITTEN
With the coronavirus quarantines, I realized that in most places, bookstores are closed. I thought, “If the stores are closed, how would people buy a Bible?” My next question was, “What if the internet were shut down? People who don’t have a physical Bible, who read the Bible online, or read Bible articles like mine, wouldn’t have access either!” In grade school, I read Fahrenheit 451. It’s about a future American society where books are outlawed, and "firemen" burn any that are found. The novel is actually based on a real historical event. In the 1930s, the Nazis burned books in Germany and Austria.

For most people, books aren’t nearly as vital to life as computers are, and I’m thinking that right now, we can use that to our advantage. As soon as the stores open back up, or if you know of one that’s open now and it sells Bibles, go out and get yourself a Bible right away. If all digital devices were taken offline, at least you would have access to the written Word of God. It’s important.  

Jesus used the written word—it was the final and only blow that got the devil off him when he was tempted in the wilderness. Jesus knew how important the written word is, so we need to know it too.

The devil “saith unto him [Jesus], ‘All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.’ Then saith Jesus unto him, ‘Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.’ Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him” (Matt 4:9-11).

This one incident shows us how powerful the written Word of God is. The devil must bow to what God says. That’s a given!

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I’ll go to read some of the Bible, and I feel like I’m bound up, I can’t even open it up; I feel too tired, or I think it will be boring, or I think I won’t really get anything out of it. (I’m just being transparent.) I know it has to be a devil spirit blocking me, but sometimes I don’t feel strong enough to fight it. But now that I’ve admitted it, and confessed it to you, I know exactly what to do. Now I will totally recognize it as a demon, and I will rebuke it and make myself read something just to make the demon go away – I win!!

So on this Easter Sunday, here are some great scriptures I read today:

“I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron” (Isaiah 45:2).

“I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, . . . And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you:
and my people shall never be ashamed” (Joel 2:25-26).

“I will even make a way in the wilderness, and riverin the desert” (Is. 43:19b).


“He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed” (Is. 53:5)

“Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise” (Jer. 17:14).

 “I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Matt. 16:18).

“He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked” (Ps. 91:1-8).

“But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

“But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses” (1 Tim. 6:6-12).

Don’t get tricked from reading the Bible like I was. Let’s read God’s Word more now than ever.

Love, Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment