Sunday, June 27, 2021

A DOUBLE-MINDED MAN IS UNSTABLE IN ALL HIS WAYS

A DOUBLE-MINDED MAN IS UNSTABLE IN ALL HIS WAYS

We’ve all strayed from doing God’s Word, knowingly or unknowingly, a time or two in our lives. But once we know what God’s Word is really saying, we are responsible throughout our lives to stay on the path, or at least come back to the truth if we discover we’ve gone astray.

 

When I was 21, and I first started to really commit myself to Jesus, I carried my Bible everywhere, but being a 60’s child, I was also living by the words of a popular song, “love the one you’re with.” Free love wasn’t just a saying; it was a way of life. I figured if I slept with a guy who I wanted to convert, it was the way I could show him God’s love. Stupid, yes, but I was so brainwashed by that time, I didn’t think it was wrong.

 

I continued to practice free love in the name of Jesus for a little while until the day an angel visited me as I was walking to my boyfriend’s house to have sex. The angel appeared next to me. He was tall, with a large build, dark hair, and with an unusual air of confidence. I was surprised but not afraid. He looked down at me, and in the calmest, nicest voice, told me that what I was doing was wrong; it wasn’t the way to win people to Jesus. That’s all he said, and then he just disappeared. I didn’t stop my ways immediately, but it didn’t take long before I did see the errors of my ways. I hope young people these days aren’t as stupid as I was, but maybe some still are?

 

I was double-minded, trying to live the sex life and serve Jesus at the same time. It just didn’t work. It was like two opposite ends of a magnet repelling each other in my brain. I was fighting in my own brain. Why is this important?

 

God says in James 1:8: “double-minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

 

Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:24: “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.”

 

In 1 Kings 18:21: “Elijah came unto all the people, and said, ‘How long halt ye between two opinions? if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him.”

 

In Revelations 3:16, God says: “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.”

 

There’s a reason Jesus said you can’t serve two masters at the same time. He wasn’t making a mere off-the-cuff suggestion. He was telling us that our brains can’t handle it. It’s not just a choice we make, but it is physically impossible for our brains to go two ways at the same time. Our brains aren’t wired to be double-minded. If we insist on putting our brains through the test, it seems to be risky at the least and perhaps fatal if pushed too far.

 

God knows what He’s talking about. When He says, “don’t be double-minded,” He’s trying to save us from the awful results of developing serious mental illnesses. We see the consequences of a double mind in many Biblical characters throughout the Bible, people who were walking a mental tightrope, including Lot’s wife in Genesis, Nebuchadnezzar in 2 Kings 24, the man of the Gadarenes in Mark 5, and even the Apostle Paul in Acts 9, and many more.

 

We truly can be risking the physical makeup of our brains as well as our sound thinking, by teetering on the tightrope between God’s way, and Satan’s concocted ways.

 

When my sister got Alzheimer’s disease, I did some studying on it. Apparently, two different types of mutated cells form, and they attack and destroy good brain cells. One type of the destroyer cell is called a “tangle”! Isn’t that just exactly what our minds become when we try to make things fit into our own ideas of Christianity instead of what God says? Our minds get into a tangle or start splitting. God created our minds to be stable and healthy.

 

No one knows exactly where the breaking point is, so why even risk it in the first place?

 

God can and will rescue, forgive, and deliver us at any point along that tightrope like He did for me. But is anyone really aware of when they’ve gone past the point of no return? I don’t think so.

 

If we look at the Bible, we see several examples of men and women who endangered their minds. Take, for instance, King Saul. He was double-minded. One minute he was getting David to play the harp for him. “David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him” (1 Sam. 16:23). Then the next minute, Saul was trying to kill him. “And Saul cast the javelin; for he said, ‘I will smite David even to the wall with it’” (1 Sam. 18:11). Eventually, Saul’s mind was so messed up with indecisiveness that God couldn’t even get to him anymore. Saul went to see a psychic (who he’d previously threatened with death); he got her to bring up a demon who imitated Samuel; Saul listened to her advice, and sure enough, it got him killed.

 

It’s not okay to be double-minded. It’s time to check the soundness of our minds. Are we getting a message from God one day and doing something different from what He says on the next?

 

We need to get a hold of 2 Timothy 1:7 and make it our declaration and our daily practice. Let’s live it! “God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” This is how they did it in Old Testament times, and it’s how we need to do it now:

 

“And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, ‘If ye do return unto the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the Lord, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines [your enemies]. Then the children of Israel did put away Baalim and Ashtaroth, and served the Lord only. (1 Sam. 7:3-4)

 

Note: the “strange gods” and “Baalim and Ashtaroth” come in many forms, but they all work to destroy the soundness of our minds. We need to take this message as a warning. Let’s make sure we untangle our brains from mixed messages and go back to the source of all health, the living God.

  

Love, Carolyn

 

Check out my books and booklets on Amazon. Lots of great true-life stories – HOW THE BIBLE APPLIES TO THE ORDINARY AND EXTRAORDINARY DAY

 

https://www.amazon.com/WINGS-Journey-Weekly-Workbook-Christian/dp/B0874LGZ34/ref=sr_1_1?crid=EZNJZZUP3KHG&dchild=1&keywords=wings+carolyn+molica&linkCode=ll2&linkId=db88efb13727dcb484eb29f5b1683284&qid=1588607180&sprefix=wings+carolyn+molica%2Caps%2C353&sr=8-1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment