Sunday, December 26, 2021

THE BIRTH OF CHRIST








 THE BIRTH OF CHRIST

An odd thing happened this week. Jane came back into the house and said, “I don’t know how to tell you this, but someone stole baby Jesus!” I went out the front door and across the lawn, and sure enough, my whole Nativity Scene was gone, stakes and all! I was flabbergasted! “Who would do such a thing?” But after a few angry words, Jane and I decided to take the high road. We guessed that the person who stole our Nativity Scene was probably someone who was too poor to buy something for the family and thought baby Jesus would be the perfect gift. So I left it at that and felt better about not cursing and rebuking them!

 

Then Jesus did a really cool thing. He reminded me of the many other Nativity Scenes I’ve accumulated over the years, and He told me to go around the house and take pictures of them. I don’t consider myself a big collector of anything, but if I was, I think it would be Nativity Scenes. I really like them, and I keep them out all year long, at least one in almost every room in the house.

 

I love the story of Jesus’ birth, how He was not born in a fancy place, but in a manger. He came to be known and honored by very rich men, but still, His birth was simple. And the first people the angels came to tell about Jesus’ birth was the shepherds.

 

We never even know the shepherds’ names. Were they all old men, or did they have youngsters with them? There are so many things we don’t know about them, but what we do know is that God felt that these shepherds were important enough to invite to this event. Right here, we see that God is not impressed by notoriety, wealth, or worldly power. God is impressed by the humble human who is willing to believe in Him and in “his wonderful works to the children of men!” (Ps. 107:8). God sent His holy child to regular people like you and me. It’s so great that we celebrate Jesus’ birth every year.  

 

And even though my outdoor baby Jesus was stolen off my lawn, the indoor Jesus remains in my home and in my heart.

 

Love, Carolyn

For those of you who haven’t had a chance to read the story yet, here’s the record from the book of Luke:

 

“And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judæa, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) to be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

 

“And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

 

“And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

 

“And the angel said unto them, ‘Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

 

“And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.’

 

“And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, ‘Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.’ 

 

“And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.

 

“But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them” (Luke 2:4-20).

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment