Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A FIERY BITE OF JALAPENO AND THE NAMES OF GOD - Beneath the Veil no.47

I chewed on a delicious bite of tempura jalapeno--spicy and HOT! I told my friend, "If food could remind you of the names of God, this one would definitely be the roaring fiery Lord of Hosts when He ascends like thunder and lightning to avenge one of His own!  " Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth. There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it" (Psalm 18:7-8). That's what the hot jalapeno reminded me of. So I asked myself, "What other food associations could I make to remind me of the varied and wonderful names of our God?"

Macaroni and cheese (voted America's number one comfort food) would have to be Jehovah-shalom, the Lord our peace. Broccoli and asparagus marinated in fresh lemon juice, olive oil and lemon pepper would be Jehovah-rophe, the Lord who heals me. A glass of good red wine at the end of a hard day, Jehovah-shammah, the Lord is here. For me, a comforting bowl of Malaysian curry says "the Lord is my shepherd," Jehovah-rohi.  The names for God in the Bible cover His multi-facetted character. Our God loves variety and we can see it all around us, even in the foods we eat.

I've included a list of some of the names used to describe God, and where they're used. Make up your own delicious food list as you look at some of these names. Bon Appetite!

Genesis 1:1 Elohim - God the creator
Genesis 17:1 El Shaddai - God who is more than enough
Genesis 22:4 Jehovah-jireh - The Lord who sees and provides (uncommon, unusual or unexpected provision)
Exodus 15:26 Jehovah-rophe - The healer
Exodus 17:15 Jehovah-nissi - The Lord my banner, my victory
Leviticus 20:7-8 Jehovah-mikkadesh - God who sets you apart
Jeremiah 23:5-6 Jehovah-tsidkenou - The Lord will make it right
Judges 6:23-24 Jehovah-shalom - The Lord my peace
Psalm 23 Jehovah-rohi - The Lord is my shepherd
Ezekiel 48:35 Jehovah-shamah - The Lord is here
Isaiah 13:13, James 5:4 Lord of Sabaoth - Lord of Hosts (hosts indicates masses of angels organized for war and includes all the physical elements as well) fiery and rescuing
Psalm 47:2 El Elyon - The Lord most high

Love, Carolyn

Friendly reminder: look on Amazon to order my book WINGS: A Journey in Faith. The complete book has enough short exciting chapters to cover an entire year of spiritual awakening and growth. It'll make a great Christmas gift and right now the e-book is only $6.99 and the printed as low as $9.72.

No comments:

Post a Comment