Sunday, December 7, 2014

STARTS OFF DIFFICULT, ENDS UP GREAT

I knew it was going to be rough from the minute I got in my car to go to work. The sky was overcast – Las Vegas doesn’t like bad weather. I walked into the paint shop and was pierced with the kind of cold that goes right through you.

My task for the day was to come up with the colors and a technique for making a piece of Masonite look like beautiful mahogany. I was having trouble with the basecoat—too dull and not enough red in it. I worked at it and adjusted my color again and again. I had to match the live sample as closely as possible and it just wasn’t coming together.

I’d recently purchased new shoes and I was on a cement floor for 7 ½ hours. My legs hurt, my back hurt and I was worn out. Even the Motrin wasn’t working.

My attitude was as desperate and frayed as the nerves in my back.  My mind was spiraling, but I knew if I could make it through the day I’d be okay.

At the end of my work day I was mentally exhausted but I knew I wanted to go out to the local coffee shop and get some writing done. It would be too dangerous to sit down in my easy chair at home, so I quickly made myself a sandwich and scarfed it down. I kicked off my new work shoes, changed into comfortable clothes and took off for the coffee shop with my Bible and my notebook.

My favorite table in the back was open so I sat down. But before I started my writing, I got my Bible opened to read some scripture, desperately needing some refreshing after a tough day. I turned to Psalm 107:20, “He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.”

I read further. I could relate to verse 26. It described how I started my day:  “They go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.  They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end. Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble.”

The next part of the scripture didn’t happen until over 8 hours later. “And he bringeth them out of their distresses.  He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven” (vss. 28-30).

I was finally happily embracing the warmth of the low lighting in the coffee shop, drinking a cup of freshly brewed coffee and enjoying the peace of mind after a very stressful eight hours of difficulty.  

We all have days like that, but I’m so glad the Lord gets us through them. With the holidays on us, there’s plenty of situations to get stressed about, so my suggestion is that at the end of every day we take a few minutes to pray or read a scripture or two. It will really help.

Love, Carolyn


A perfect gift for the holidays, WINGS: A Journey in Faith –Volume1. It’s a compilation of short true narratives to entertain, inspire and enhance your spiritual growth. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Wings+Carolyn+Molica

No comments:

Post a Comment