Sunday, April 9, 2017

RE-UNITED

RE-UNITED
When I looked up from the kitchen table, I saw the back legs and tail of a dog whoosh by the patio door opposite me. I went out to see if the wind had opened one of the gates. When I approached the second gate, I saw the face a young German shepherd peeking out from behind the tool shed. Someone had to have lifted him up and dropped him over the fence into my yard! What now? He was afraid of me, so I sat down on the lawn and started talking to him. I could see that he had a collar with a red heart tag attached, but I was going to have to get much closer to see it. Bring food and water—yep, that usually works. So I got some chicken and broke it up and some cat food and a dish of water and brought it out to him. I laid down on the grass by the bowls and he came over and began to eat. Then he let me pet him and gave me a little lick on the hand. We were instant friends.

“Rocky” had squeezed under his owners’ balcony railing and they didn’t even know he was gone until the vet called them. This little dog had travelled seven miles from his house! When the young man came into the vet’s office, he was so happy to see his dog and Rocky was so happy to see him too. He said Rocky was his mom’s dog and she would really miss him.

If I could rescue a lost puppy and reunite him with his family, how much more ability does God have to rescue His lost children?

Jesus said, “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent” (Luke 15:4-7).

God is always looking for the one who is looking for Him. And it is still His goodness, manifested in us and in all the other ways He works, that brings other lost people back to Him. As it says in Romans 2:4, “Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

God knows what He’s doing. He was the one who directed someone to drop that lost puppy over into my yard. God knew we would help him find his way back home. Let’s let the goodness of God in our hearts be apparent as we help lift God’s lost sheep back over the fences and into His arms.

Love, Carolyn  (picture is of Rocky, waiting to be re-united with his family)


No comments:

Post a Comment