Sunday, June 30, 2019

GOD SENT RAVENS TO ELIJAH AND A CAREER TO CAROLYN


GOD SENT RAVENS TO ELIJAH, AND A CAREER TO CAROLYN
At the outskirts of Las Vegas there used to be a petting zoo and restaurant by a large duck pond, on a property called Bonnie Springs. It was a throwback to the ’50s, cozy and delightful. For many years they took in injured animals and birds and cared for them. We liked to go out there to see an old raven. The guests from the restaurant often feed him soda crackers through the holes in his large pen. 

We watched. When the raven had all the cracker pieces neatly organized in his beak, he hopped down to the bottom of his enclosure and placed the neat stack to one side. He dug a shallow hole with his whiskered beak, put two pieces in the hole and raked some dirt over it, so there was no sign of cracker at all—only earth. He took the remaining portions in his beak.

Clippity-clop hopping in raven fashion to the other side of his bird coop, he dug another hole and buried the rest of the crackers. I was in awe. Finally, I understood the record in 1 Kings 17 about Elijah being fed by the ravens: The raven had already buried some food; it was just waiting for the time when God wanted it brought out to Elijah.

“And the word of the Lord came unto him [Elijah], saying, Get thee hence, and hide thyself by the brook. And it shall be, that thou shalt drink of the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to feed thee there. So he went and did according unto the word of the Lord, and the ravens brought him bread and flesh in the morning, and bread and flesh in the evening” (1 Kings 17:3-6).

Elijah’s circumstances were not ideal, and the bread and meat were probably not kosher, but Elijah was thankful. God’s provision for him had been totally unpredictable and definitely unique.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says to: “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” We need to trust that the Lord loves us and will provide for us even though our paths may be rocky at times. If we look to the Lord Jesus to guide us through, it will work out better than we could possibly imagine.

When circumstances or decisions are hard, we can remember Isaiah 43:19: “I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.”

We learn to expect the unpredictable and unique when it comes to God watching over us. When we keep our eyes on Jesus as it says in Hebrews 12:2, “looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith,” He will always have things set up for us to get to the other side and to the good results He has for us.

When I got ready to write my first book, I had no idea how to get started. The Lord was way ahead of me.

Wendy, one of my closest friends, was publishing online for her job, so she was able to help me. My other friend, Maarit, was an excellent editor and that was no coincidence, either. God already had my girl ravens set up to bless me, and I blessed them too. When I decided to start an art career I “happened” to go into a place in Kansas City to buy a drawing pencil; I came out with a job to fabricate sculptural molds for the bronze foundry and art gallery!

When I moved from Missouri to Northern California and interviewed for a secretarial job, I ended up telling the woman I would prefer working in the arts. She gave me a client’s number, and the first thing my new boss asked was if I knew how to make a mold for a sculptural piece. That started my ongoing career in the arts. Again, no coincidence, but God was preparing ahead of time just for me, and I never saw it coming.

If we continue in our hearts to want to follow the Lord Jesus Christ, He will never, never let us down. 

The ravens are out there burying your crackers and steak right now.

God’s got a great future for us. Let’s be courageous and not be afraid of the unusual or unique ways God has to bless us.

Love, Carolyn

QUESTIONS AND EASY CHALLENGES
1. Can you cite another passage of scripture (besides the one with Elijah) where God supplied an answer from an unusual source?
2. Recall and briefly describe a situation where God had already set up your “ravens.”
3. Where in the Bible is the story of Elijah found?


GREAT SHORT STORIES FOR SUMMER READING:

USER-FRIENDLY BIBLE PRINCIPLES FOR EVERYDAY LIVING: real-life stories of how GOD works to make ordinary life extraordinary.


No comments:

Post a Comment