Sunday, September 8, 2019

LIGHT IN THE GARAGE


LIGHT IN THE GARAGE
The fluorescent lights in my garage started flickering a while ago. I was afraid it would be a complicated fix, so we put off getting an electrician. Finally, we did it. Jane made the call. The electrician came, took one look at the lights, and told us it was just that the ballasts were old. He checked with our house insurance, and they paid for all the new parts. It only cost $55.00 for the whole job, including parts.

We are afraid of the things we don’t understand, in the physical as well as the spiritual. But so often the fix is not nearly as difficult as we anticipate.

There was a good side and a bad side to getting the lights repaired. The good side was that we could see everything. The bad side was that we could see everything! WOW, so much dust and disarray had collected in my garage when the lights were flickering and low! It’s the same with us spiritually.

I have been working so hard on so many projects, that my time in just reading the Bible was like the garage lights—flickering. Then yesterday, I took several hours away from home just to sit and study the Word of God. I did a word study on the word “sleep.” In the process, I ended up reading many exciting chapters of the Bible and got all kinds of new light on some current world situations as well as things in my own life. It was thrilling.

Even in the very first verses of the Bible, God talks about light: “And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness” (Gen.1:4).

The thing about light is that it exposes any darkness. So when I had new bright lights in my garage, I could see that I had work to do. I can now see the mess! Time to clean up.

Psalm 18:28 says: “For thou wilt light my candle: The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.” If we want the dark places of our lives to be lightened, we need to get that light of God turned on. First Corinthians 4:5 tells us: “Therefore judge nothing before the time until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.”

The supposition here is that every man will have praise from God because he or she has sought light from the Lord; the light has revealed the darkness and the person has received the exchange of light for the former darkness. Then God is super happy because light, and clarity, and peace is prevailing. Confusion, filth, and fear have been removed. Isn’t that what we all want?

We get lazy sometimes and make excuses for ourselves. I know I was lazy about getting someone to fix my garage lights. Then because I couldn’t see out there very well, I didn’t bother sweeping the floor. I didn’t see that some of my supplies had tipped over and that I needed an all over general clean up. I asked myself, “What happened? It used to be clean and organized out here!” But without proper light, something awful happened. Yikes!

God is light, and His “word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Ps.18:28).

If our time in reading the Bible has been flickering like my lights, it’s time to get back to it. Let’s not be apathetic in our Christian walk and think that it’s okay to expect the Lord always just to give us revelation, rather than us having to actually sit down with the Bible and read His Word.  

When I started my study on “sleep” yesterday, I went to BibleGateway.com and printed out the scripture references. Then when I began to look them up, specific stories caught my interest, and I had such a great time reading the context. By doing this, the Lord was able to direct me and give me new insight on sections of scripture that directly related to current events in my life as well as in the world at large. It was awesome.

Jesus came in the flesh to help people. His mission was and still is: “to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light” (Acts 26:18).

Let’s let the Word of God, and the revelation of Jesus Christ, open our eyes and let the light shine in.

Love, Carolyn

THIS WEEKEND THRU TUES:     I’M OFFERING MY SAMPLE BOOK:   COMMITMENT
This is a sample book with 6 of the 61 chapters from the complete book. These chapters are true life stories about the tremendous and varied benefits you can receive from making a commitment to the Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment