Sunday, January 3, 2021

MAKING IT RIGHT


 MAKING IT RIGHT

When I went into the store yesterday, I was distracted, thinking about the drawing I’m working on. I did self-checkout and loaded the items into three bags, put them in the cart, and out I went. It wasn’t until I got home that I realized I never paid for the items! I have no idea why the alarm didn’t go off as I exited the store!

 

As I thought about this crazy incident, I was reminded how easily Satan opens the door for people to sin. He just slips in the opportunities so smoothly. It takes discipline to live honestly by Biblical standards, and of course, I’m going back to the store today and tell them all the items I got, so I can rightfully pay for them.

 

Even though I didn’t know at the time that I did anything wrong, I did, and I admit it. But now, making it right takes so much more time and effort! Darn!

 

Nobody wants to be wrong at anything, but the truth is that the last perfect guy got out of here over 2000 years ago, and so all of us are going to do wrong things, no matter how hard we try always to do things right. And we need to fix those things that are wrong, no matter how much time or effort it takes. My small incident is nothing, compared to some of the other things that need to be fixed, that take a lot more time and a lot more diligence.

 

A form of the word “diligent” is used 61 times in the Bible. The results of being diligent to the things that are important to God are told to us in Exodus 15:26:

 

“If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that healeth thee.”

 

A form of the word “disciple” or “discipline” is used 257 times, and of course, Jesus named his closest followers “disciples.”

 

Job tells us that God helps us toward being disciplined because He knows we will be so much happier with the results:

 

“He openeth also their ear to discipline, and commandeth that they return from iniquity [sins specifically that come to us from our bloodlines].

 

“If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures” (Job 36:10-11).

 

We all know there are things in our lives that the Lord would prefer if we would change them. In other words, we usually know when we’ve done something that’s not very good. And God knows too—we can’t hide from our Creator! So, if we want to make things right, and God knows we do, then He’ll find a way to let us know.

 

And when God makes us aware of our sin, our bad judgment, or errors, He doesn’t want us to get all mad about it or despondent either. To God, one sin is just as big or small as another. All can be forgiven and all can be changed for the better.

 

King Solomon speaks to his children in Proverbs 3:11-12: “My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord;
neither be weary of his correction: for whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.”

 

And 1 John 3: 2 tells us: “Beloved, now are we the sons [and daughters] of God.” So being disciplined and corrected by God is a good thing. It means He loves us.

 

But as every child who’s been spanked, knows: “No chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous.” And as every parent knows: “Nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby” (Heb. 12:11). A good spanking can motivate a child to act right.

 

Verse 12 goes on to encourage us in how we are to respond to God’s spankings. We are not to get all down in the dumps and pull a pity party for ourselves. We are to get up and act right, so whatever we did doesn’t keep happening.

 

“Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; and make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed” (Heb. 12: 12-13).

 

Being wrong can be righted as long as we admit to God that we were wrong, and then we get back on track.

 

We have spiritual ability within us because of being born again of Christ’s seed, making it so that we really can get back on track on anything. Romans 12:1-3 tells us how:

 

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

 

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

 

“For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.”

 

One thought at a time, we can make our minds new again on any subject. I’m not saying it’s easy, but it is definitely doable, and God promises it’s well worth the effort.

 

And if you’re like me, you’ll probably want to refer back to this preach letter throughout the year, for different incidents that may come up or in wanting to help a friend deal with issues they may face as well.

 

Love, Carolyn

 

My books are found on Amazon, and I believe Barnes and Noble. Even the older ones are great to read!

 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wings+carolyn+molica&crid=EZNJZZUP3KHG&linkCode=ll2&linkId=db88efb13727dcb484eb29f5b1683284&sprefix=wings+carolyn+molica%2Caps%2C353&tag=jmbcsds-20&ref=as_li_ss_tl

No comments:

Post a Comment