Sunday, August 23, 2015

UNDER HIS WINGS


Sometimes I just want to breathe a sigh of relief and be comforted. And that’s when I like to picture myself safely tucked under the Lord’s wings.

I painted a reproduction of a famous painting for a local Catholic school. It is Jesus with outstretched arms over several children that have come to Him. I have a copy of it up in my living room to remind me of where I should always be, letting Him take care of me, and not dashing out on my own without Him, but continually under His wings.

Psalm 91:4 says, “He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust.” I love to revel in that image. It brings peace to my mind and heart.

David said, “How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wing” (Ps 36:7). Almighty God is willing to put His powerful and protective wings over us because He loves us so much.

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

In another Psalm David prayed, “Hide me under the shadow of thy wings” (Ps 17:8). Under God’s wings nothing can hurt or harm us. Psalm 91:1 tells us, “He that dwelleth [is dwelling] in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

Ruth was a Moabite. When she lost her husband, her mother-in-law told her she should go back to her people. But Ruth wanted to stay and take care of her widowed mother-in-law. She decided, “Thy people shall be my people and thy God my God” (Ruth 1:16).

Boaz saw Ruth’s meekness and said, “The Lord recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the Lord God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust” (Ruth 2:12).

I imagine Ruth was in some ways very alone in this new place and with new people, so it must have been a wonderful feeling that she could rely on and really feel comfort from God.

So if you’re like me or Ruth and sometimes feel like you need some extra comfort, or you feel like David and just need to hide, you can picture yourself at ease under the wings of God or the arms of Jesus.

Even in the troubles and stresses of life, if we remember to be like those children who pressed in to Jesus, we will receive the assurance, strength and help to get through the difficult times victoriously.

Love, Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment