Sunday, May 12, 2019

HONOR


HONOR
Exodus 20: 12 “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

As a teenager, I was upset because my mom wouldn’t buy me school clothes at the expensive stores like the other girls’ moms did. Instead, my mom took me to the stores and let me pick out the dresses I liked best, and she would make them for me. We lived on the edge of an affluent community, and I always felt like an outsider. What I didn’t know was that my parents chose our place to live because they could send their kids to good schools without having to pay the higher prices of homes in a community they couldn’t afford. My parents were more interested in our education than our material accumulations, but at the time I didn’t know it.

Recently I discovered that a coworker, 30 years old, doesn’t know how to put words in alphabetical order. I asked if he’d been taught in school and found out that he had not. I was shocked—naïve, I guess. He’s a smart man and a good worker, but never learned to alphabetize. How many other things aren’t being taught in school? I guess I just figured that everyone who went to public school learned the same things I did. Wow, was I wrong!  I feel a little stupid about how blind I was, but this new awareness made me smarter and more compassionate.  

The “alphabet incident” also woke me up to something God wanted to show me about my parents, and probably many other parents as well: They don’t always tell their kids why they make the decisions they do, but for the most part, they try to do their best for us. Like the Bible says, we need to honor them, no matter what.

At the least, they gave us life. That little sperm was the strongest one, and our mothers took us from that conception day all the way through to delivery. And here we are, alive, thinking, breathing, and hopefully honoring the God who created life itself.

There are so many reasons to honor our parents. One reason is what God says in Exodus: “That thy days may be long upon the land.” When we realize some of what our parents did and still do for us, and we know what we do and have done for our children, we have to recognize patience and perseverance make for a rich and complex life. We can live a good long life because we understand that things take time.

And most of all, we recognize that faith and trust in the Lord are essential to long life and peace.

If people don’t honor their parents, they are missing a big life lesson. If people decide to do what the Bible says, and honor them even if they don’t really want to, then God will open their eyes as to why it’s important.  

And for those of you whose children don’t honor you now, don’t worry, one day they will.

Love, Carolyn



No comments:

Post a Comment