Wednesday, August 14, 2019

ADMITTING MISTAKES CAN TAKE US TO A BETTER PLACE


ADMITTING MISTAKES CAN TAKE US TO A BETTER PLACE
Valerie was in town for work and came by the shop to see Donna and me. She broke down in tears as she told us she had to leave her children with her alcoholic ex-husband while she worked here. When Valerie spoke with him on the phone, she could tell he’d been drinking, and she was terrified for her children. She worried about paying her bills too. Her world was falling apart, and what did I do?

I was caught off guard and didn’t do the right thing. I was swirling in her downhill spiral and felt a little overwhelmed myself. Donna and I said we felt so bad for her and we would pray. She left, and I felt this emptiness as I saw her walk away. I prayed for Valerie that night, but I still had a niggling feeling that things weren’t quite right with how I handled the situation. Somehow, I had missed something.

I didn’t realize the answer until three days later. Jesus told me what was wrong. I should have taken her outside away from where all the other people were, and prayed right there. That was when she really needed it.

Jesus let me know that I’d messed up big time and I needed to repent, which I did. I felt terrible, and I had to apologize to Valerie too. I’d lost the opportunity to minister to my friend at her point of need.

I was reminded of James 2:15-16 where it says: “If a brother or sister be naked and destitute of daily food, and you say to that person, ‘God be with you! I hope you stay warm and get plenty to eat,’ but you do not give what that person needs, your words are worth nothing.” As it says in Hebrews 1:1: “NOW faith is,” not later when I get around to it.

This experience was a great wake-up call for me. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. But Jesus has given us the ability to overcome indecision. My strength is in my writing. My weakness is in thinking on my feet and acting immediately. But I’m determined to change that, “redeeming the time because the days are evil” (Eph. 5:16).

I don’t want to be “unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is” (Eph. 5:17). “And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake” (Rom. 13:11). “Let the weak say, ‘I am strong’” (Joel 3:10). I still mess up plenty, but I am getting quicker at recognizing when I can help someone, and I’m more eager to jump right in.

Have a great week.

Love, Carolyn

I THINK YOU’D ENJOY READING ONE OF MY BOOKS: They’re all available on Amazon, and here’s the link:



No comments:

Post a Comment