Wednesday, August 21, 2019

PRAY FOR THE CHILDREN


PRAY FOR THE CHILDREN
Current events are opening everyone’s eyes to human trafficking. Just think, children who were taken when they were babies or three or four years old never even got to find out what a real family is. Their lives were taken over by deprivation, torture, and slavery. Rescue missions are saving hundreds and thousands of children who have been so brutally oppressed by these depraved human monsters. The kids’ bodies will be rescued, but their minds and hearts will need tremendous healing. We definitely need to start praying for them now. Secondly, we need to pray that God will work in people who are in the medical fields, that they will be inspired to get the right training to help with the recovery process of these shattered souls.

If you have children, I know you pray for them daily, probably at least twice a day. Keep it up!

I know my mom, at age 90, still prays for me. If it weren’t for her prayer and believing, I probably wouldn’t have made it this far. She told me that when I was little I once followed a dog down the street and she had to call the police to help find me. Then another time I drank a bottle of her perfume, and she had to rush me to the hospital. When I was older I put my mom through even more drama. I remember a time when I was freaking out in an old downtown building in Chicago, and my mom drove her VW Beetle forty miles in a snow and ice storm to get me. My mom has always been a big one for prayer and trusting God.

I want to relate another story about a mother who trusted God. Her name is Hagar. We find her story in Genesis 16, 20 and 21. Abraham was married to Sarah and Hagar was Sarah’s maid. When Sarah couldn’t conceive she came up with the idea that if Abraham could impregnate Hagar, somehow the child would be considered hers. I don’t get it, but that’s what they decided, and it caused significant problems. As soon as Hagar got pregnant, Sarah was jealous and outraged and treated Hagar horribly. Hagar fled, but on God’s urging, she went back and submitted herself to Sarah’s domination. Relationships may have improved slightly, but there was still bitterness and strife in the household.

Abraham’s entourage traveled through the deserts together as a group for the next thirteen years. By this time Sarah had conceived and given birth to Isaac. All of them lived together in the same group of tents: Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Hagar, and Ishmael. (Do we really think our “complicated” family dynamics are so modern?) As we’d expect, there was more drama brewing.

One day when Ishmael was fourteen Sarah overheard him making fun of her son Isaac. It must have been the last straw because she threw him and his mother out. Hagar was devastated. Back then if you were thrown out it wasn’t like you could just go to stay with a friend. These people were nomads. They lived in a tent city, traveling from place to place according to the water supply. There was harsh desert all around them. So when Sarah threw Hagar and her son out, they had to find a way to survive in the wilderness, or they’d die. Abraham was able to sneak them one bottle of water and some bread but when that was gone life was over. Hagar wandered in the desert desperately looking for help. But a person can only last about three days without water, and there were two of them. They’d come to the end.

“When the water was gone, she left the youth in the shade of a bush and went off and sat down a hundred yards or so away. ‘I don’t want to watch him die,’ she said, and burst into tears, sobbing wildly.

“Then God heard the boy crying, and the Angel of God called to Hagar from the sky, ‘Hagar, what’s wrong? Don’t be afraid! For God has heard the lad’s cries as he is lying there. Go and get him and comfort him, for I will make a great nation from his descendants.’

“Then God opened her eyes, and she saw a well; so she refilled the canteen and gave the lad a drink. And God blessed the boy, and he grew” (Gen 21:15-20).

Hagar knew God. She prayed to Him and cried out to Him. She taught her son to do likewise. God “heard the lad’s cries” and saved them both. To parents, relatives, and guardians, this should be a great comfort. When you’ve done your best, you don’t have to be afraid that you haven’t done enough. God thinks you have, and He will be there to step up directly for your children when you can’t. GOD IS THERE FOR THEM.

Love, Carolyn
(pict. is of me and my mom in March 2018. She’s 90 now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment