Sunday, May 10, 2020

MOTHERS ARE AN AMAZING GIFT FROM GOD

MOTHERS ARE AN AMAZING GIFT FROM GOD
If it weren’t for my mom praying for me, I probably wouldn’t have made it this far. She told me that when I was little, I once followed a dog down the street, and she had to call the police to help find me. Then another time, I drank a bottle of her perfume, and she had to rush me to the hospital. When I was older, I put my mom through even more drama. I remember a time when I was freaking out on LSD in an old downtown building in Chicago, and my mom drove her VW Beetle forty miles in an ice storm to get me. My mom always was big on prayer and trusting God.

I want to relate another story about a mother who trusted God. Her name is Hagar. We find her story in Genesis 16, 20, and 21. Abraham was married to Sarah, and Hagar was Sarah’s maid. When Sarah couldn’t conceive, she came up with the idea that if Abraham could impregnate Hagar, somehow, the child would be considered hers. I don’t get it, but that’s what they decided, and it caused significant problems. As soon as Hagar got pregnant, Sarah was jealous and outraged and treated Hagar horribly. Hagar fled, but on God’s urging, she went back and submitted herself to Sarah’s domination. Relationships may have improved slightly, but there was still bitterness and strife in the household.

Abraham’s entourage traveled through the deserts together as a group for the next thirteen years. By this time, Sarah had conceived and given birth to Isaac. All of them lived together in the same group of tents: Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Hagar, and Ishmael. (Do we really think our “complicated” family dynamics are so modern?) As we’d expect, there was more drama brewing.

One day when Ishmael was fourteen, Sarah overheard him making fun of her son Isaac. It must have been the last straw because she threw him and his mother out. Hagar was devastated. Back then, if you were thrown out, it wasn’t like you could just go to stay with a friend. These people were nomads. They lived in a tent city, traveling from place to place according to the water supply. There was a harsh desert all around them. So when Sarah threw them out, they had to find a way to survive in the wilderness, or they’d die. Abraham was able to sneak them one bottle of water and some bread, but when that was gone, life was over. Hagar wandered in the desert, desperately looking for help. But a person can only last about three days without water, and there were two of them. They’d come to the end.

“When the water was gone, she left the youth in the shade of a bush and went off and sat down a hundred yards or so away. ‘I don’t want to watch him die,’ she said, and burst into tears, sobbing wildly.

“Then God heard the boy crying, and the Angel of God called to Hagar from the sky, ‘Hagar, what’s wrong? Don’t be afraid! For God has heard the lad’s cries as he is lying there. Go and get him and comfort him, for I will make a great nation from his descendants.’

“Then God opened her eyes, and she saw a well; so she refilled the canteen and gave the lad a drink. And God blessed the boy, and he grew up” (Gen. 21:15-20).

Hagar knew God. She prayed to Him and cried out to Him. She taught her son to do likewise. God “heard the lad’s cries” and saved them both. To mothers, this should be a great comfort. When you’ve done your best, you don’t have to be afraid that you haven’t done enough. God thinks you have, and He will be there to step in directly for your children when you can’t. GOD IS THERE FOR THEM. Never stop praying for them.

I believe God has given special abilities to mothers, beyond what most people even understand. And too often, we don’t acknowledge the depth of extra strength, endurance, and love that mothers carry within them.

This week we have been making a special effort to go to the small businesses, to give them the money for goods, rather than always the big megastores, and the big conglomerates like Amazon online. It was a thrilling and rewarding experience. All of a sudden, Jane remembered what her mother told her when Jane was only three years old: “Always save something for the little stores, Janie.” Jane’s mother wasn’t the greatest, but she gave this gift to Jane, and to this day, Jane’s passion has always been the so-called little people! I’m glad we have this special day today to say HAPPY MOTHERS’ DAY. We recognize and applaud all of you!

Love, Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment