Sunday, May 3, 2020

GIVING CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE


GIVING CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE
Despite the horrible deaths and suffering caused by the coronavirus and the quarantines, all is not lost. There can be some good things coming out of all this. People are turning back to God and giving Him the credit He is due. We are saying: “God did this for me,” and we are saying it out loud. Proverbs 3:5 tells us: “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” James 1:17 says: “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

First, that verse tells me that God doesn’t change His mind on giving to us. He is going to keep giving us good gifts, even during a pandemic, even if we don’t give Him credit. But also, the verse tells me that even though Mary Lou may be the one who gives me the gift, the source is God. Say, for instance, she comes to my restaurant and purchases carry out for her family, God is the one who instigated the doing of it.

And it’s the right thing to do, to thank Mary Lou from the bottom of my heart, but I also need to acknowledge that it was ultimately God who sent the gift my way. We really need to start giving God more credit when we speak of the everyday good things that happen in our lives. We all know that there is more to our lives than what we see in the natural. It’s time to speak about our God. King David in the Bible is a great example of doing just that.

“I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed” (Ps. 119:46). If David wasn’t embarrassed to speak of our God’s blessings before kings, why do we hesitate to acknowledge our God in front of our family and friends? I don’t believe we hesitate because we’re afraid, I think that maybe it just hasn’t been our custom to speak out loud about God so much. We don’t hear it, so we don’t say it? When I was growing up, I was told many times that religion and politics were two subjects you didn’t talk about. It was “a personal thing.” Well, we sure have blown that theory in recent years as far as politics are concerned, so how about blowing it sky-high in speaking about our God too, not in the arguing about doctrine but in openly giving Him credit for “every good and perfect gift” coming down from Him, as it says in the Bible? How about acknowledging Him in all our ways (giving Him credit for even the smaller good things He does for us), as Solomon said? And God called Solomon the wisest man ever to live.

David didn’t think we should keep our feelings about God so personal. He said: I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee” (Ps. 22:22).

In Ps. 52:9, David gives God credit: “I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name; for it is good before thy saints.” And Psalm 34:1: “I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.”

Even the Apostle Paul asked the believers to pray for him in this aspect of giving God credit, and saying something about His goodness: “that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel [the good news], for which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak” (Eph. 6:19-20). Granted, Paul was an apostle, and he was commissioned of God to speak a lot, but each of us can at least speak a little, right?

Let’s start remembering that every good gift comes down from God, and let’s audibly give Him credit.

Love, Carolyn

My second edition of WINGS is finally complete. Buy a copy today. It’ll change your life😊


No comments:

Post a Comment