Sunday, September 13, 2020

THE SHEPHERD

  


THE SHEPHERD
While living in South Africa, I visited a family in Lesotho. As we drove through the crusty desert hills toward their village, I saw a lone shepherd walking by the roadside with his meager flock. To my surprise, this shepherd’s flock consisted of a couple of sheep, a goat, and a donkey. I always thought shepherds only had sheep, so this sighting was remarkable for me. But there was more to it. In the few minutes that I watched him out the car window, I was overwhelmed by what God showed me. I could feel this man’s life. As he walked along the dusty road, many miles away from the village, I knew this little group of animals meant everything to him. They were his lifeblood, around which his whole world existed.

Yesterday I was reminded that in Biblical times, the shepherd slept with his flock. He never left off from being with them and caring for them. That’s why Jesus can say in John 10:27: “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” The sheep would recognize the shepherd’s voice because the shepherd lived with them every day, 24/7. The shepherd ate with them, walked with them, slept with them.

He was there when they got uppity; he was there when they got sick; he was there when they had their babies, when they had a bad day. He lived with them and knew every one of them and cared about each one of their peculiarities, and he deeply loved each one of them. Any of you who have multiple pets know that they all have different personalities, and you know you love them all.

So it was natural that they would recognize his voice because he was always right there with them.

I’ve been realizing lately that many things that are normal things in the Bible, have not become normal in our lives. For instance, there are more occasions of people seeing and having conversations with angels, and more said about it, than there is about speaking in tongues. And speaking in a God-given prayer and power language is pretty darn amazing!

If we look at the Bible events with open eyes, we can see that angelic visits are the Bible normal. Healing is the Bible normal. Tremendous victories are the Bible normal. I think we might need to become more normal, according to what is stated in the Bible, don’t you? After all, it is God’s manual for life, spiritually-infused life, that is. And we all can use a bit more, or a lot more of that spiritually infused awesomely victorious life, right?

The next time we pick up the Bible, how about looking at what we’re reading and ask ourselves: “Is there something in this story that should be normal for me? The things that are Biblically normal, hey, I want them. How about you?

One place we can start is with the shepherd, Jesus. Intellectually we know that He’s with us. But it’s time to take additional steps in our relationship with Him: It’s called CONVERSATION. When we want to get to know someone better, we ask questions. Then we listen to the answer, and if we don’t quite get it, we ask more questions, or ask them to say it in a different way, so that we understand. Sometimes we even repeat it back, just to make sure we got it right. We do that with people, but we don’t often do that with the Lord.

Questions like: “Is there something you want to show me today?” “Why is that important?” “What could I do for you today?” “Is there something I could be doing differently?” You will have your own questions.

Think of questions you might ask of a new acquaintance. “What do you do for a living?” “How about your family?” “What kind of music do you like?” “Are you here for business or for fun?” “Know any good jokes?” (Jesus does have a good sense of humor, in case you didn’t know). It could get really personal and really interesting, really fast, don’t you think?

This week, let’s make an effort to get to know our shepherd’s voice better than we do today. He’s with us all day and all night, so let’s make conversation with Him so darn normal.

Love, Carolyn

What if you took an average ordinary person, gave them an incredible cache of weapons and skills to become extraordinary beyond their wildest dreams?

My new book delivers the package.
60 EXCITING INSPIRATIONAL SHORT STORIES – You’ll LAUGH, CRY, LEARN, and LOVE


No comments:

Post a Comment