Sunday, December 11, 2022

A NOSE FOR GOD

A NOSE FOR GOD

Just a normal day as a nurse’s assistant in the hospital. I walked the antiseptic green hallway of the orthopedic floor and smelled that awful odor once again.

 

I was a baby Christian, just beginning to pay attention to how the Holy Spirit works in me. I could smell a killing cancer. At first, I thought it was just a smell that came with cancer, but when I asked, I found out that others couldn’t smell it. God was using my spiritual sense of smell to point out certain patients that needed special prayer and compassion.

 

What about our visual senses? I wanted to buy some new furniture. I prayed about it and I remember getting a mental picture (in color) of three pieces of furniture: two nice dark cherry chairs and a recliner in the same dark cherry with a leather seat. I kept seeing that picture every time I prayed for my furniture. It was the Lord’s way of assuring me that I could have it. In a couple of months, I found it on sale and was able to buy all three pieces without going into debt.

 

What about hearing? People hear the voice of the Lord in several different ways. He can talk in an audible voice, seeming so natural that the person might look around to see who’s there. I’ve had that happen a few times. When the Lord talks to us from within ourselves it can sound like our own voice or even the voice of someone we know. Often the Lord speaks to our spirit in a “still small voice” from deep within or we get a feeling of just knowing something that we hadn’t thought of ourselves.

 

A spiritual sense of taste? There are times when I've taken a taste of something and though it didn't annoy my regular taste buds, I knew I wasn't supposed to eat it. One time I got the message, but I took a couple extra bites anyway and felt bad all afternoon.

 

As for the spiritual sense of touch, there have been times when I've nearly jumped away from someone who wanted to touch me and pass on something bad. On the other hand, the spiritual sense of touch comes into play often. Sometimes, by the spirit, I know to just touch someone’s arm, to pass the love of God to them.  Nothing weird, just compassion and God’s love. I really don’t even think about it too much; I just do it.

 

The Christ in us will guide us and let us know the will of God in every situation. How does this work? Through the guidance of the written word and through the spiritual five senses we receive when we get born again and filled with the Holy Spirit.

 

Hebrews 5:14 tells us:

 

“For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

 

“But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.”

 

In other words, if we want to grow up, we need to exercise our spiritual five senses. As we practice using our spiritual five senses, we begin to “know” spiritual things about people and situations. It says in Luke 5:22 that “Jesus perceived their thoughts.” And in 6:8 “He knew their thoughts.” Knowing a person’s motivation, or the thoughts behind what they say or do helps us to get the Lord’s strategy for our part in handling the situation or person. Do we need this? I’d say a definite YES.

 

In a world where people twist words, and they don’t really say what they mean, the Lord Jesus knows already what’s in their hearts. Through the gift of the Holy Spirit in us, it’s easy for Him to let us know the truth of what’s really going on. This is not only vital in our personal lives but it’s an important tool in the body of Christ, to protect, enlighten and bless others as well.

 

If we are willing, the Lord will teach us more about what our spiritual senses can tell us and how to listen better. We will become more acutely aware of His presence, live on a higher spiritual level and be of more real help to those around us.

 

Love, Carolyn

https://www.amazon.com/Carolyn-Molica/e/B007GZO1HA?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_15&qid=1651431514&sr=8-15

 

No comments:

Post a Comment