Sunday, July 21, 2013

WINGS LIKE A PRAYING MANTIS

I looked out onto the patio and saw something strange going on. My cat, Snowy, was slowly backing up, ears flattened against his head and shackles up. His teeth were snarling and he was hissing. Something was scaring him and making him back off.

I opened the sliding glass door and went out slowly, expecting some big stray cat or dog ready to attack. What I saw was something quite different.

It was a 2 ½ inch praying mantis with its colorful, frightfully angular wings spread out wide like a mantle over her. She looked ferocious and she was running full speed toward Snowy! They don’t often show their wings. It’s like their secret weapon and apparently it works well. Snowy turned tail and scurried into the house through the opened patio door!

Sometimes the angels act in a similar way, to be our secret weapons. A few years back, I was having a particularly hard time at work and I felt weakened. I looked up the scripture in Psalm 103:20 “Bless the Lord, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.” I prayed they would go to my work ahead of me and help me there.

When I got to work, I went upstairs and I could see in my spirit a very large angel sitting comfortably on the corner of the wooden railing, with its wings spread way out to each side around the edges of my work space. I felt protected and strong. I felt like I was strong and the wings were spread up behind me too, like a mantle. This went on every day for several months until I moved to a new work location, where it seemed I didn’t need the added protection.

Every year my garden is visited by praying mantis so I’ve had plenty of opportunities to observe them, but only once have I seen one spread its wings out like this and go after a much larger creature. 

Like the mantis, we don’t always go around showing off our stuff, but when it becomes necessary, we certainly have many secret weapons. One of them is to utilize the ability of angels. They are strong to protect us and back off any perceived danger.

Love, Carolyn

For more on angels see post from Jan 12, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment