Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Treacherous Swim - Beneath the Veil no.29

It was a beautiful San Francisco day. I threw my air mattress in the back of my baby blue VW bug and took off for an adventure. I drove to an abandoned beach several miles north of Sausalito, on the San Francisco Bay. What seemed like a great idea didn’t turn out so well.

Looking out over the water I saw a small island about a mile or so away. Being a good swimmer I figured I could get there and back pretty easily.

I already had my suit and sneakers on, so I just needed to blow up the air mattress and off I went. The water was cool and refreshing and though the island was a little further than it looked, I got there with no trouble. The swim back was a different story.

After taking a leisurely nap on what I felt was my very own island, I got back in the water and headed for shore. I paddled and kicked, fully expecting to have an easy time at it. Quite the contrary.

I kept at it much longer than I should have. I guess I didn’t realize I wasn’t really making progress. In fact, I was being pushed by the current further and further from my destination. I was also getting really tired from the kicking and paddling. Never mind that there were probably sharks around, but I wasn’t thinking about sharks. I was thinking about what I saw in the distance.

The shore line took a sharp turn about a mile away. I knew if I didn’t make shore before that turn, I’d be swept toward the Golden Gate bridge and out to sea. Then it dawned on me what to do.

I quit trying to swim against the current, but started to go with the current and swim diagonally toward the shore and do my best to make it before that turn. I was scared, but I had determination and a prayer.

I made it. Just barely. It was a long walk back to my car. I had time to reflect and thank God for rescuing me. I’d unwisely gotten myself into real danger and He saved me.

I often wonder how many times He’s rescued me when I didn’t even know it! Every day I’m thankful for the life I have because of Him.

Love, Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment