Sunday, October 20, 2013

BREAKING IN WITH HOT THOUGHTS

“Put him on the phone.” Wendy’s 6-year-old son Jack didn’t feel like taking a shower. “You need to get in that shower and be clean by the time I get home.” “Okay.” Jack instantly changed his mind and obeyed. What about us?

Children can make changes easily and learn the benefits of obeying. They remain flexible and grow. As we mature into adults there’s no reason that has to change. So, how do we do it?

Just this morning I was feeling burdened, thinking I had too much to do. Then when I went to write this, I heeded my own words. “Change your mind. It’s only a thought away.” So I told myself, “It’s going to be a great day.” My attitude instantly got brighter. Oh, yeah, of course the devil wanted me to slip back into thinking about why it couldn’t be that easy. But I said, “No. With God it is that easy!”

Romans 12:1 says, “Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” So, by even one tiny thought, I can change the whole direction of my day and be pleasing to God. That’s awesome!

We can only think one thought at a time and we have the power to choose the next thought. “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he” (Prov 23:7). What gets into our heart starts with one thought. A right thought is just one thought away from a wrong one. And right thoughts come from the Word of God. It really is just that simple. Jack instantly changed his wrong thought to a right one by listening to his mom and obeying. We can do the same with God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

We are our own best friends when we take a thought from God’s Word rather than one that collides with it. Simplicity is a good thing. Life is not that hard if we keep ourselves flexible and obedient like children, one deliberate thought at a time.

Love, Carolyn

PS: One reader commented on my WINGS book: “It’s like reading a spiritual reality show!” My stories are entertaining and reflective at the same time. You can find my book on Amazon or B&N, both in written and digital form. Just put my full name Carolyn Molica in the search box.

No comments:

Post a Comment