Sunday, March 4, 2018

DAVID PRAYED IN THE MORNING

DAVID PRAYED IN THE MORNING
Many are familiar with Psalm 30:5 “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” But what about when joy doesn’t come in the morning? Did God lie? No. We just didn’t read the next verse. It says: “And in my prosperity I said, ‘I shall never be moved.’” What was the prosperity David declared would never leave him? It was the Word of God that he knew and loved. Why would David receive joy in the morning? Because he claimed the goodness of God and said it out loud. His action is confirmed in Psalm 5:3 where David tells God: “My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.” It’s so important to start our day like David did, looking up to God, and claiming His goodness. When we don’t have joy in the morning, we’ve got to make ourselves say what the Word says, to get that joy. We know in our hearts it doesn’t come automatically.

I live in Las Vegas, a 24-hour city, so everyone’s morning can be different. But no matter what time it is, whether 4 a.m. or 11 p.m. when we start our day, it’s time to pray. We can get the very best preparation for our waking hours by praying first thing.

Even when David had complaints, he started his day with prayer. Psalm 88:13 is one of those morning prayers: “But unto thee have I cried, O Lord; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent [go before] thee.” In this passage, David goes on in the next five verses complaining to God of the terrible things that have happened to him. We all need to do that: let our complaints out to the only one who can truly help us. David protested: “Lord, why castest thou off my soul? Why hidest thou thy face from me?” (v.14).

But then when he’s finished with his honest griping, he begins to praise God, saying: “I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations. For I have said, ‘Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens’” (Ps. 89:1-2). And David continues through the next 27 and more verses to speak what God says about His relationship with David. And David is built up and confident once again.

These are a few of the truths from God’s Word that I pray every morning:

Bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me” (1 Chron. 4:10).

“He that hath ears to hear, let him hear” (Matt. 11:15).

“Be anxious for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:6-7).

“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind” (2 Tim. 1:7).

Find your truth from God’s Word and let’s start our mornings like the great King David, who God called “a man after mine own heart” (Acts 13:22).

Love, Carolyn

FREE THRU TUES:

WINGS: A Journey in Faith from the Earthly to the Heavenly is a compilation of stories—thoughts, musing, insights, revelations, and guidance gathered from my experiences living as a Christian in Las Vegas.

This section is PART 1 and contains chapters 1-9:

1. FILLING VACANCY WITH JOY
2. CAN'T STOMACH IT? LET IT GO
3. JESUS GETS TO THE ROOTS
4. WHAT'S IN A NAME?
5. INFORMATION OR REVELATION
6. TIRED OF WAITING FOR ANSWERS?
7. NO MORE TOIL
8. MONEY - TRUTH VERSUS TRADITION
9. GOD LIKES TOO MUCH



No comments:

Post a Comment