Wednesday, October 19, 2016

BRINGING OUT THE OLD SPIRITUAL TOOLS AND WEAPONS

BRINGING OUT THE OLD SPIRITUAL TOOLS AND WEAPONS
When I was cleaning my garage, I found some sculpting tools someone made for me out of rebar. I always loved the feel of those tools. I picked one up, got my mallet down off the peg board and cut away a few chips of soapstone on a falcon sculpture I started years ago. I remembered the feeling of apprehension, then satisfaction as I chipped away at the stone. I decided to start using those wonderful tools again. Our spiritual tools are like that.

We sometimes forget how useful and satisfying it is to rebuke demons and make them flee, or to pray perfectly for a situation by praying in tongues. Or what about getting down on our knees to pray like we did when we were children? (When was the last time you did that?) Or what about the golden rule of treating others as we would want to be treated? Or how about when you decided to read the Bible cover to cover and God opened your eyes to so many new amazing things?

So many of those good Bible principles and/or weapons in our arsenal that we’ve forgotten about. Maybe it’s time to take inventory of some of those old beloved friends that used to be so much a part of our daily routines at one time.

I was reminded of that just the other day. If you remember from my last article (this past Sunday), my school friend said she was inspired to stand up and say: “Every devil spirit in my mind and in this house HAVE to go, NOW, in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ.” From James 4:7 we know that if you “resist the devil, he will flee from you.”

As I was walking into a confusing situation the other day, I remembered my friend’s words and I remembered that scripture about resisting the devil. I decided to sharpen up that weapon. Sometimes we put up with things we don’t have to put up with. That’s exactly my point. I’d forgotten such a simple spiritual weapon and was enduring rather than conquering!

It wasn’t that I did any heavy duty casting out of devil spirits. I wasn’t in the position for that, but I just made them shut up and not act up. Just like when Jesus talked to the storm in Mark 4:39: “And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.” When I walked into that confusing situation it was like a storm of thoughts and I could feel the demons stirring things up like crazy, so I rebuked them and everything got very calm. It was awesome.

For some reason I hadn’t thought of using that particular weapon in a while, so it was so good to be reminded of how wonderful it is.

In the Bible we see that God often urges His people to remember the things of old, bring them to mind again. Remember what He’s done for us before and remember how we used what He said—to get free of things, to get prayers answered, to be happier, etc.

David has a great way of saying it in Psalm 77. The whole chapter is beautiful, but here I want to show you verses 5 to 11:
I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times. I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.

“Will the Lord cast off forever? And will he be favorable no more? Is his mercy clean gone forever? Doth his promise fail for evermore? Hath God forgotten to be gracious? Hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah [consider this carefully].

“And I said, ‘This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High. I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.’”

David was having a hard time so he started to have a good heart to heart talk with himself and he searched for an answer. He wondered if it was God’s fault, or if it was God that had forsaken him. He deeply considered the possibility. But then he woke up! “This is MY infirmity!” So David was his own enemy. It wasn’t God at all. And when he realized that, he made himself remember the good things God had taught him in the past. That was his answer and sometimes it’s ours too.

Let’s just take a minute or two to take inventory and list some of the good things we learned or did in the past. Let’s do some refreshing of our lives with them—sharpening our old weapons and making new use of our older tools that worked well and still do.

Love, Carolyn

You can read more stories for FREE and check out my books on Amazon. Just click LOOK INSIDE! on any of the books or booklets.


No comments:

Post a Comment