Wednesday, October 5, 2016

MAY GOD BE GLORIFIED

MAY GOD BE GLORIFIED
Steve-o, my work friend, told me he went to see the band, Tool, perform. He said he really didn’t like the music but when he got there, it was something else that caught his attention and admiration. The lead singer/guitarist was in back, with the other guys out in front. Steve-o asked if this was normal and found out that’s how they always perform. In most bands, the lead singer/guitarist is the main focus, but here it was more about the music than the ego of one main guy.

Steve-o also told me about another band, the Gorillaz, where you never see the guys in the band. It’s a virtual band consisting of four animated members, who are completely fictional and not personas of any real life musicians. Again, it’s about the music, not the performers.

I thought that was pretty great and it made me think about the Body of Christ. It’s not about a preacher’s great flair or charisma, nor is it about us as individual super star believers and what we can do with our great personalities or abilities. It’s about Jesus and the Body of Christ – what we can do together with Jesus as the head—the brains—strategizing the best for all members of the body to be blessed, functioning in our perfect places, to the glory of our Father, God.

There’s no place for big egos in the Body of Christ. Galatians 6:3 tells us: “For if any person thinks himself to be somebody [too important to condescend to shoulder another’s load] when he is nobody [of superiority except in his own estimation], he deceives and deludes and cheats himself.”

Even Jesus said, “I am able to do nothing from myself [independently, of my own accord—but only as I am taught by God and as I get His orders]. Even as I hear, I judge [I decide as I am bidden to decide. As the voice comes to me, so I give a decision], and my judgment is right (just, righteous), because I do not seek or consult my own will [I have no desire to do what is pleasing to myself, my own aim, my own purpose] but only the will and pleasure of the Father Who sent me” (John 5:30).

WOW, what a statement! Don’t you wish you could walk that tight with God? I sure do. But we’re endeavoring to do just that and I know God loves us for it. Here’s another great verse: “Jesus answered, ‘If I were to glorify myself (magnify, praise, and honor myself), I would have no real glory, for my glory would be nothing and worthless. [My honor must come to me from my Father.] It is my Father Who glorifies me [Who extols me, magnifies, and praises me]’” (John 8:54).

Yes, Jesus knew Who He was, and the authority He had, but He lived in the NOW and never forgot in the instant, the source of that power at that very moment. It’s my prayer that we can become more aware of the presence of the Lord in more moments of our day too.

As we do the things we do each day, let’s try to think more about what would give glory to God. A lot of us go to a secular school or work at a secular company and are not in the constant presence of wonderful loving people 24 hours a day, so it’s not that easy to think about if all that we do is giving glory to God. Right after I finish this article, I’m going to write myself a note and put it in several places, so I’ll look at it: “Are you giving glory to God?” I think it will help me and maybe you’ll want to do something similar. Remember, it’s about God’s band and His music, and not about what satisfies our own egos.

“So then, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you may do, do all for the honor and glory of God” (1 Cor. 10:31).

Why is this so important? Because “you do not know [the least thing] about what may happen tomorrow. What is the nature of your life? You are [really] but a wisp of vapor (a puff of smoke, a mist) that is visible for a little while and then disappears [into thin air]” (James 4:14).

The Message Bible translates Philippians 4:5 like this: “Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you’re on their side, working with them and not against them.”

Remember “we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” (Eph. 6:12). We have to get really good at looking at people and being able to differentiate between the person and the demon.

As the Message puts it: “Help them [the people] see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute!”

Being better ministers for the Master, we focus on Him, not on us.

Love, Carolyn

You can see some of my other writing if you click “SEE INSIDE” on any of my books or booklets on Amazon 


No comments:

Post a Comment