Monday, October 24, 2016

GOD GOES OVER THE TOP


GOD GOES OVER THE TOP
My friend Hector came over after work Friday to cut down a few branches off my mulberry trees—the ones that were hanging over the roof of the house. I was picturing maybe six branches max, but the Lord had something else in mind. Hector became God’s fulfillment of Ephesians 3:20: “Glory to God, who is able to do far beyond all that we could ask or imagine by his power at work within us.”

Hector stood back and looked at my trees with the eyes of an expert mechanic and an artist and he began to sculpt away. By the time he was finished with the first tree, it was perfect AND . . . the pile of branches began to grow high. He cut and I pulled the limbs and branches to the side and started making piles.

Then we started on the second tree and this one presented a few more problems—dead branches at the top, crisscrossing branches, etc. So Hector took off the major ones and came back Sunday to finish up.

Deuteronomy 28:2 tells us: “And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you.” That’s how I felt. I was getting the ultimate tree trimmer job, when I only expected a few branches to be cut. I could picture Jesus standing there with a big smile on His face, saying, “That’s what I wanted, for my girl to be blessed and surprised, over the top!”

One of the Hebrew names used for God in the Old Testament is El Shaddai. It means the God of more than enough. And God delights in overflow. That’s what it was for me this weekend and I’m so happy.

One of my favorite Psalms is Psalm 23. Verse 3 says: “He restoreth [is restoring] my soul.” And it goes on to say in verse 5: “God preparest [is preparing] a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: God anointest [is anointing] my head with oil; my cup runneth [is running] over.

Someone might say, “God shouldn’t be wasting,” but with God there is always more where that came from. It’s His delight. I know there’s times when I’ve given a bigger-than-required tip to a waiter or waitress, a bonus $20 to my hard working garbage men, and extra presents to my nephew. It’s fun!

Our God is a God of more than just enough and I love it! When God went way over the top for Elijah and the people in 1 Kings 18 to show them that He, NOT Baal, was the true God, the people responded. “When all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, Jehovah, he is God; Jehovah, he is God” (v.39).
I didn’t fall on my face when the Lord blessed me with my tree cutting, but I did sob tears of joy and thanked the Lord for sending me Hector to help me and do way more than I expected, in a truly El Shaddai way, to carry out God’s will to bless me.

Be looking for the attributes of our God as El Shaddai these next several weeks. I’m praying for the Psalm 23:5 anointing to be poured out and overflow to you.

Love, Carolyn

Check out my books on Amazon. If you’d like a FREE pdf or word doc. Of my booklet, WORDS, let me know at cjmolica@hotmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment