Sunday, December 29, 2019

"BLESS YOU" - WHAT DOES IT MEAN?


“BLESS YOU” – WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
People say “Bless you” when someone sneezes. The practice originated in Rome when the bubonic plague was ravaging Europe. Sneezing was one of the plague's main symptoms, and Pope Gregory suggested that a tiny prayer in the form of saying, "God bless you" after a sneeze would protect the person from death. I decided to look up what the Bible says about blessing, and came to Mark 6:41. When Jesus “blessed” the loaves and fishes, “He looked up to heaven, and blessed.” Jesus lifted and blessed these loaves and fishes to do as God intended for them. Jesus was lifting the little bit of food for God to take it from there and do with it what He planned. In this case, His intent was to multiply it so that everyone had enough to eat.

At the time when I was studying what it meant to bless something, I was preparing for a new temporary job. I knew there would be extra stress on my body, my mind and my emotions. Everyone would be working long hours for over a month. It would be hard physical work with temperatures in the high 90s and above. People would be exhausted, nerves on edge and emotions touchy. I decided to use what I learned from Jesus, on the circumstances I was facing.

NUMBER 1 - BLESSING MY FELLOW WORKERS: God created every person with something marvelous in mind for them. So no matter what little they may seem to be doing toward that goal, we can give them a better chance by lifting them in prayer to God. Especially in this situation where the pressure was high, I couldn’t afford to be judgmental and accusatory. I was too tired to even trust my own thoughts, especially if they were negative. So I consciously would pray to God: “I bless so-and-so to be able to do Your perfect will for their life.” It was very freeing!

NUMBER 2 – BLESSING MY BODY: The job required going up the stairs in our Las Vegas 90-degree-plus heat several times a day. Then I’d need to get down on my knees to cut and staple. There was lots of bending to paint a large canvas on the floor, lots of lifting and working on my feet on the concrete floor 12 to 17 hours a day. Often my knee would want to act up. My friend Wendy let me borrow her knee brace and that helped. My back muscles would get angry and I definitely needed a blessing on my physical body. I would silently pray: “I bless my body to do as You intended it to do, God.” And it worked. I would feel some renewed strength and carry on, slowly at first, but I kept moving and I did well. The owner of the company was compelled one day to ask me how old I was. When I answered, he was astonished and said he was impressed and amazed at how I could work so hard at my age. That made me feel really good.

NUMBER 3 – BLESSING MY MOUTH: More than once, I got cranky and irritated with some of the workers. I wanted to blurt out some snide remark. The words were pushing forcibly right behind my lips. It was all I could do to keep them from busting through! This one guy we worked with had terrible work habits but I held my tongue. It wasn’t my place to correct him, so I just kept saying to God: “Bless him to do what You had in mind for him, and I bless my mouth to only say what You intend.” It worked. Do you have any idea how shocked I was that I could even do it? But was it worth it? Totally. I was free. I didn’t condemn him. I blessed him and gave him to God. It felt good.

There were so many awesome people I met at the job and I was happy to be a part of it. I was especially thankful to be so successful through the rigorous schedule, coming out stronger with a healthy body, sound mind, and better mouth!

I hope that you will be able to use these blessing keys in your life too.

Love, Carolyn

QUESTIONS AND EASY CHALLENGES
1. What did God do to the loaves and fishes when Jesus lifted them up and blessed them? What do you think God might do for you if you lift up your family members, friends or fellow workers to Him in prayer?
2. Do you think you might get some added strength or health if you lifted up your body to God and prayed that He helps your body to work as He intended for it to work?
3. When you’re in a stressful or rigorous schedule, what are some things you do to keep yourself well and stable?
4. What are some situations you’ve been in where you should have blessed your mouth to only say what the Lord intended?

No comments:

Post a Comment