Sunday, December 1, 2019

REMEMBERING


REMEMBERING
Learning to apply the Bible to everyday circumstances is a lifelong process. Sometimes we forget things we should remember, and we remember things we should be forgetting. I had that experience this weekend when I was making cookies. I haven’t made Christmas cookies in several years, but this year I got inspired by my work friend, Jaime.  We never know how God will work, but Jaime started a series of events that led me down an interesting and wonderful path.  

I started to look through my cookbooks for the gingerbread men cookies I wanted to make, but I found too many different recipes for the same type of cookies, and I hadn’t marked the recipe that made the tastiest ones. I didn’t really have a lot of extra time to experiment, so I picked one that I thought looked pretty good and went ahead with it. Well, the cookies turned out just okay, but not with the rich spicy taste that I wanted.

It’s like that with the Bible. In the Old Testament times, God was always telling people to remember about the time He rescued His people out of the oppression of Egypt. It would be good for us to go back at least once a year and read it as well. The whole story is in Exodus, chapter 5 through 15. God sent Moses to Pharaoh: “Say unto him, ‘Thus saith the Lord, Let my people go, that they may serve me’” (Ex. 8:1). Pharaoh was obstinate, and horrible plagues descended upon Egypt: locusts, flies, frogs, death to cattle and men, until Pharaoh finally gave in. But even then, as the Israelites were leaving, Pharaoh sent his army after them. God opened the waters for His people, and the waters crashed over the Egyptian soldiers. God performed miracle after miracle to save the Israelites.
God freed His people from oppression, and from that point on, He wanted them always to remember the good He did. However, being human, they forgot and had to be reminded. They didn’t take notice, didn’t mark it in their brains, kind of like I didn’t mark the good cookie recipe.
When we don’t take notice of the good things we had in the past, we struggle a bit when we are in similar situations. Had I marked my recipe, I wouldn’t be struggling today. Even though it’s taking more of my time and effort, I will get the good ones baked before I go back to work tomorrow.  

It works the same with applying the principles of God’s Word in our lives. Let’s try not to forget what He’s done for us in our larger family of believers, even way back to Old Testament times. And let’s not forget to mark those good things He did for us even in 2019, which has been a tough one for many of us. Let’s mark the good and remember that God is always good.
Love, Carolyn
PS: I’m still working hard on getting my WINGS vol. 2 in print. Thanks for your prayers, and thank you so much for reading my preach letters too.
If you don’t get or want Amazon, I’ll send you a free copy via a PDF file or Word document. Send me your request at cjmolica@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment