Tuesday, December 24, 2019

CHRISTMAS 2019


CHRISTMAS 2019
“Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee” (Hebrews 13:5)

I love the simplicity of this old photograph by Eric Enstrom. It hangs on the wall across from where I sleep and reminds me that with Jesus in my heart and life, I can find God in even the most meager of situations.

Here is the expanded story of this man and this photograph. I hope it is as meaningful to you as it is to me. I WISH A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU

Back in the year of 1918, a bearded, saintly, old man, with foot-scrapers to sell, called on Eric Enstrom at his photography studio in the tiny mining town of Bovey, Minnesota.

From this chance encounter a world-famous photographic study was created. Today Enstrom’s picture Grace, showing the elderly peddler with head bowed in a mealtime prayer of thanksgiving, is known and loved throughout the world.

“There was something about the old gentleman’s face that immediately impressed me. I saw that he had a kind face… there weren’t any harsh lines in it,” Enstrom said in recalling the 1918 visit of Charles Wilden to his studio.

It happened that Enstrom, at that time, was preparing a portfolio of pictures to take with him to a convention of the Minnesota Photographer’s Association. “I wanted to take a picture that would show people that even though they had to do without many things because of the war they still had much to be thankful for,” Enstrom said.

On a small table, Enstrom placed a family book, some spectacles, a bowl of gruel, a loaf of bread, and a knife on the table. Then he had Wilden pose in a manner of prayer… praying with folded hands to his brow before partaking of a meager meal.

To bow his head in prayer seemed to be characteristic of the elderly visitor, Enstrom recalled, for he struck the pose very easily and naturally.

As soon as the negative was developed, Enstrom was sure he had something special… a picture that seemed to say, “This man doesn’t have much of earthly goods, but he has more than most people because he has a thankful heart.” That Enstrom’s camera had captured “something special” is an appraisal widely shared.

Love, Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment