Sunday, January 26, 2020

RICH LIKE AN EAGLE


RICH LIKE AN EAGLE
I was waiting at the trailhead for the rest of the hiking group. It started to sprinkle and was an unusually cold morning for Las Vegas. I saw movement up at the top of the cliffs and got my binoculars focused on one large golden eagle sitting at the edge of the cliff and another circling in the sky. They were getting ready to fly above the oncoming storm. Being above the storm, they cruise along peacefully. If only we could be as smart!

Satan wants to fill us with fear about the future. We can't let him do that. The Lord has already rescued us and made a way for us to rise above like the eagle.

Our God is a good God. That sounds like a no-brainer, but how often have we gotten worried, scared, or angry about our circumstances and felt that our present situation and our future looks pretty dim?

The following situation happened to me a few years ago. Las Vegas wasn’t building, so painters like me didn’t have jobs. When this happens, I normally do a lot of side jobs, but people were being tight with their money and didn’t want to pay for extra projects. Besides that, I was caring for a sick friend so I had more expenses. Things were going downhill financially. It hit me like a brick wall, but friends and family helped, and I cut way back on my spending, cutting my bills down, etc. It didn’t hurt me a bit.

I was glad to experience what I did. The Lord showed me how to cruise through, one event at a time. My low financial state took me to new heights spiritually.

I met some of the greatest and most loving people in the most unexpected places—places I’d never even thought of visiting before. The Lord was showing me a wealth of blessings, and only a small part of it had to do with money prosperity.

In the last several years, there has been so much preaching about financial prosperity, that many Christians have felt ashamed if they haven’t become instantly rich like the church leaders. I’ve come to believe that much of this prosperity teaching is not Biblical.

Hebrews 13:5 says: “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” When we get back to believing in this simple truth, we will forever be rich and free.

The Bible says: “They shall not be ashamed in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied” (Ps. 37:19). The NIV reads: “In times of disaster they will not wither; in days of famine they will enjoy plenty.” And in the NAS: “They will not be ashamed in the time of evil, and in the days of famine they will have abundance.” Our abundance is more often a matter of attitude, rather than a plethora of physical items.

I was financially poor a few years ago, and yet with God, I soared like an eagle above the storm because I learned to ride the Word. What I received spiritually and in my soul was wonderful and worth so much more than money could buy. Money itself isn’t a bad thing at all. The Bible says that the love of it is the root of evil. God is talking about the kind of love that when a person goes after it, they will do anything it takes to get it and then keep it. It’s kind of like a stalker. Going after money becomes an obsession, and the person’s focus takes a turn into perversion.

God warns us: “For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows” (1 Tim. 6:10).

No matter what our situations may look like and no matter what the world’s financial circumstances are, we can’t let fear lock us into bad times. We “seek those things that are above… and set our affection on things above, not on things on the earth” (Col 3:1-2). Our God is a good God and will always provide a way for us to rise like an eagle above any storm.

Isaiah 40:31 tells us: “They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Love, Carolyn


If you’d like it via a word doc or pdf, let me know at cjmolica@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment