Wednesday, January 29, 2020

PASSION, TEARS, AND TRUST

PASSION, TEARS, AND TRUST
This morning I was passionate enough to make several phone calls to U.S. Senators in our Nation’s Capital, regarding the Impeachment hearings. My voice shook, and I had to compose myself before each call. It reminded me of my younger years when I was adamantly involved in Civil Rights marches. I guess the passion never goes away, no matter how many years pass by.

I can remember those days when I marched for Civil Rights and got expelled from high school for my participation. I remember the devastation of hearing of Bobby Kennedy’s assassination, while I was in the midst of working on his campaign.

Today, I was at the point of tears so many times, but I’m okay now.

We had a phrase when we marched for freedom and Civil Rights in the 60’s – yes, I am that old! When a subject or idea contained truth and real substance, we said: “That’s heavy!” It meant that the concept was deep, solid, and rock bottom truth.

I had the day off today, and the spirit of God led to me read Psalm 56. It’s one of those heavy chapters that David wrote, in a time of grave seriousness when he was contemplating the deep truths of life.

He starts in verse 1, saying: “Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up;
he fighting daily oppresseth me.” Then he continues: “Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.” Remember, our enemies are spiritual forces that work around us in people, the atmosphere, circumstances, the things we see and hear, etc.

But David was able and made himself focus on God, no matter what his heart was suffering: “What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust (vv. 3-4a). I feel like he said the next line with great emphasis and conviction on these four words - “I will not fear.” The whole sentence reads: “I will not fear what flesh can do unto me” (v. 4b).

Then he continues: “Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil. They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul. Shall they escape by iniquity? In thine anger cast down the people, O God.” David didn’t mince words but spoke honestly and rawly before God, his maker.

David was in despair and felt that he was being unfairly overwhelmed by those demons that hated him. They caused him to be so despondent and sorrowful that he cried.

The next verse tells us how much God loves us, so much that He actually is aware of every tear we shed. No one else may ever see us cry, but God does, and He is so concerned about us that He collects every tear we cry! David said: “Thou tellest my wanderings” (v. 8). This passage can be understood as: “You have kept track of and kept a record of my every sadness, my misery, my sorrow, my troubles, my tossings and turning in the night.”

God has been watching every single thing that we have suffered, and David tells us that every hurtful, horrible, tearful event is recorded in God’s book. Not only that, but God Almighty puts our tears in His bottle. Does He have a bottle for a whole lifetime of our tears? Yes, He cares that much. He keeps a record of all the times the devil has caused us pain in any way. David knew the ways of God, and he reminded Him: “Put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?” (v. 8).

God made us with the same ability David had: to trust in God’s love for him. Let’s embrace this wonderful truth. I think we all need it. “When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me” (v. 9).

Today I felt despondent and sad, and I did my best to try to make a difference. Sometimes life is heavy, but we have to remember, like David, that God is always there to record the wrongdoings and to collect our tears. He loves us and will make things right for us, even if it takes longer than might want.

Love, Carolyn


No comments:

Post a Comment